By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Service and Decanting
From meticulous farming to thoughtful and fastidious winemaking, our greatest efforts have all lead up to this moment. Now that our wines rest in your collection, here are some notes from our winemaker on how to best bring these wines to a sensational finale.
When your wine arrives, allow it to rest for at least one week before enjoying.
While aging you Revana wines it is best to keep them in a cool and dark place, away from sunlight and with a consistent temperature. For extended aging, place your bottles on their side to prevent the cork from drying, and with the labels facing up to ensure a consistent position for any sediment to settle.
For wines less than 5 years old, the objective is to soften the tannins and help the wine open up. Decant vigorously, exposing to as much oxygen as possible.
- Carefully remove the cork.
- Tilt the bottle upright, pouring quickly and directly to the bottom of the decanter, causing the wine to splash against the sides.
- Swirl the wine, coating as much of the inside surface the decanter as possible.
- Let breathe for two hours.
For wines over 5 years old the objective is to separate the wine from any sediment that has settled out, and then to allow the wine to open and breathe on its own. Decant gently with as little disturbance to any sediment in the bottle as possible.
- Before opening, place the bottle upright and let the wine settle for at least an hour.
- Revana wines are sealed with an elongated cork to improve aging ability, keep this in mind while carefully removing the cork.
- Pouring slowly, transfer the wine into your decanter, leaving some wine in the bottle to hold any sediment.
- Older wines need only a few moments to breathe before enjoying.
Large Bordeaux-style glasses offer the perfect setting for Cabernet Sauvignon. To ensure that you may enjoy our wines at their full potential, we use Sophienwald wine glasses in the Revana tasting room. We feel these beautifully crafted hand-blown glasses intensify aromatics and accentuate flavors, providing the best tasting experience possible.